Monday, May 14, 2012

Dresser Dilemma

The latest swear word at our home has been "dresser". It's been a discussion for some time now and I finally did something about it.

We've been in the market for a dresser for the baby's room. We did some scoping out and I decided that I refuse to spend a bunch of money on a nice dresser. So, after checking out Homemakers a couple of times, we scouted the Waukee area garage sales for some type of dresser. Not only did we not find any, we nearly got into a divorce deciding what to do. Jake's idea weeks ago was to take this old nasty dresser, which I completely forgot we had, and move that into the baby's room. Of course, I threw a fit because as you can see from the picture below (sorry for cutting it off), it's pretty ugly. The doors have never closed right, the color is weird (especially next to our new Espresso colored baby bed) and then what would Jake do with his undies? 

Right before Jake and I got married, his folks bought us a really nice bedroom set, but because I have a plethora of t-shirts and other essentials, Jake has to put his socks and unmentionables in this hidious monster which is stuck in our walk-in closet.

To make a long story short, I came to my senses and decided last week that this dresser would work, but only if I could not only paint this, but also paint this cheap bookshelf that is currently in the baby's room. For Jake's things... I would buy his plastic totes from Walmart.

 
Now the book shelf is it's own ordeal becuase it's yet another shade of brown and it's made out a laminant- virtually, it's cardboard. So ladies, you can see my delema. Not only do I have now two pieces of appaling furniture, I have three different colors of brown "wood" in that room.

So, I got on trusty ol' You Tube and figured something out. I found this page that was an easy how-to in making furniture look rustic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VXIj2yMnTk.  I thought it was worth a shot and by gosh, she worked!
I was actually so impressed how both pieces turned out that I'd love to do this with other things! It would be fun to paint two different colors and then sand off.  How pretty would like a bright turquoise with yellow or red underneath look? 

So all I did was buy some off-white spray paint, so I could match with that room's trim. After drying for about an hour, we took sandpaper and sanded away! We tried to be cognisant of where wear marks would be (handle area, ends, etc.). For the dresser, I then bought some new handles and whola! In the end, I also figured out that this dresser was not in as bad shape as I originally thought. Apparently we just didn't' have the drawers in correctly.

Once we get more of the room together, I'll show you a couple of other things that I've made, but right now, that room is a disaster, so I need to make it more "photo ready" before I post:).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts