Sunday, July 10, 2011

My New Obsession

Last week I saw a story on WHO about Rescued Junk by Old Crow Farm, just outside of Des Moines, and this store is now my new obsession.
So you know a little about me, I'm into vintage. But think vintage with a farm/cowboy flair. I wish I had more of an eye, like my friend Mandy, but I know when I see something I like. It's just sometimes hard putting it together.

Jake and I built a new house almost two years ago and just recently a few final touches on it. Here a few pictures so you get a taste to what I'm into. Like I said, not everything are my dream accessories, but they get the job done.


Now, with that in mind, you'll understand why I'm now in love with this store: RECLAIMING RUBBISH: One man's junk is Kasey and JoJo Henke's livelihood. The owners take, what many people think is junk, and refurbish it as new. They have such a creative eye! They've also got a great marketing strategy as they're open only one weekend a month.

Last weekend, my horse show got rained out, so I had Saturday morning to check it out. Although I didn't feel comfortable snapping pictures of the goods, I did get a picture of people waiting, in the pouring rain, to get in at 9:00 a.m. The picture was taken at 8:45 a.m. and there were probably at least 10 people in line waiting for the doors to get open. It was hillarious! Once the doors opened, it was a mad rush into the store. It was almost like the day after Thanksgiving!

I found tons of things I liked, but because I had my Grand Prix, I had no idea how I'd get big pieces home (I told Jake that next time he's coming with me and we're taking the truck.). In the end, I settled on an old crate and a really cool, old seed corn marker. I'm not exactly sure where their home will be in my house, but for now, they're on our liquor table in our basement (notice we're running a little low..). 
Make sure to give them some love on their blog at http://oldcrowfarmantiques.blogspot.com/. Love it!


Lastly, make sure to check Hope Ann Petry, the new Iowa High School Rodeo Queen's blog at http://www.ihsraqueen.blogspot.com/. She'll be posting as she travels Iowa and the rest of the United States!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts