Monday, June 27, 2011

I Think I'm Going to be Sick

Last week I participated in the weirdest thing ever and I learned that if I ever hear about anything similar again, I will run the other direction, fast.

You see, for work, we have a Wellness program going on. The more “healthy” choices you make within the program time in terms of exercising, doctors/dentists appointments or education the more money you get. There’s no better incentive than money. I’ve been scrambling to get my last few points in, so I found a free wellness class called, Advanced Class: Beneficial Beverages. It was taking place at a chiropractor’s office after work, so I thought it would be harmless and an easy 7.5 points towards the CVBHealthy program. Thank goodness I influenced a co-worker of mine along; otherwise, I think I would have made a scene….

I assumed it was discussing the benefits of water, why pop is bad for you, etc. But no, instead, it was a cooking class on lacto-fermented beverages. Am I living in a box or have you heard about these drinks too? Apparently these drinks are for health-nutty hippies who want more “good” bacteria in their stomachs. The presenter actually didn’t go into why the drinks are so good for you in terms of medical terminology, she just said that it replaces your bad bacteria with good and will help your digestive system. Yah, it would help mine by bringing it back up and in the toilet. Seriously people, all of her 4-5 drinks she talked about were chunky, yes, chunky.

The following pictures were not from the evening’s festivities, but I googled it when I got back and this is exactly what her jars looked like.
She made different drinks including Kombucha and Keifer. Kombucha was made with this growing piece of crap called SCOBY that multiplies like a swap alien (left). You then add to your fermented concoction. 

Her Keifer used a bacteria that looked like moldy cottage cheese. This drink was made with made with unpasteurized, all natural milk. So, what this means, is that you use milk straight out of the cow, add the moldy cottage cheese stuff and then sit the jar out on your counter for 3 days. Then, whala! Curdled milk! But not just any curdled milk, fermented Keifer!

I think when I left, everyone in the room hated me, including the hosting chiropractor and the presenter since every glass they passed to me I threw it in a trash jar. My co-worker told me I had this look on my face the whole time too, which I'm sure was not inviting. 

When I also got home, I looked up Kombucha and this is what it said on Wikipedia:

"Kombucha is a tea that is often drunk for medicinal purposes. There is limited scientific information supporting any health benefit and few studies are being conducted, although there are several centuries of anecdotal accounts supporting some of the health benefits attributed to the tea."

This picture to the right is a Kombucha that apparently is sold in stores. The lady actually had one of these bottles to sample to. Her point was why pay $4 for a small bottle when you can make it at home for pennies. Ha! Ya, great idea...

I will say, it’s an education wellness class that I will never forget!


1 comment:

  1. I wish I would have never read this...that is absolutely disgusting! I will stick with water thankyouverymuch.

    I WOULD HAVE CAUSED A SCENE!

    ReplyDelete

Recent Posts