Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Walk on the Wild Side

So, Jake and I had a great Memorial weekend. We went down to Albia to the LJS Hunting Lodge to take in the sites. Jake and Dad put up trail cameras, we worked on steps for the house and also took in nature at its best. Now, I don't like to think of myself as a "girly-girl", but there a few things that do gross me out.

On Saturday morning, Jake was moving the woodpile around so the boys could weed-whip and what do you know, he came upon a family of snakes. Yuck! There were three of these suckers underneath the pile. I wish I would have seen Jake when he first found them because I would bet my house that he screamed like a girl. He hates snakes more than anything! He did put on a brave face, yelled at my Mom, Dad and myself to come take a look and then he proceeded to cut them in half and throw them in the fire. (If you don't know by now, our family does not have a lifetime membership to PETA)

Anyway, since Jake dismembered and discarded of the creatures so fast, I couldn't get a picture; however, I did remember what they looked like and went to trusty, Wikipedia to find more out about them. See pictures below.

We found three of them in the woodpile, right near the house. The longest one was probably 2 feet long. There looked to be two different kinds- gardners and milk snakes. Even though Jake knew the red one was a milk snake, I was still convinced that it could be poisonous...Wikipedia said I was wrong. I did; however, find this handy-dandy phrase online about red snakes. I probably won't remember it, but I'll try...
"Red on yellow will kill a fellow, but red on black is a friend of jack."

Mysterious Milk


Greesy Gardner


Then there is story number two. On Sunday morning, our neighbor, who traps turtles, was down in Mom and Dad's pond looking for snappers. He and his son only found two smaller box turtles, but in the back of his truck, from a different pond, was a snapping turtle. He showed us and yikes was he a biggin! It's no wonder why they're decedents from dinosaurs.. they look prehistoric and mean! This guy was ready to eat someones hand! I did not try it out. I found it fascinating that this guy looked after 180 pounds around Albia- looking for turtles. He said that he ships them alive to China from $0.75-$1.50 per pound. The snapper below that he had in the back was about 22 pounds.

I was just telling my Mom how much fun it would be to have one of our ponds cleaned out so we could swim in it. Now, there is no way in h-e double hockey sticks that I would try swimming in their ponds knowing that these triceratops are floating around in them. Icarumba!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts