Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Petty Action

For anyone who's had animals, you can relate. There are always those special ones that you'll never forget. At the Soukup house growing up, we had more animals come and go than you can count! My mom and I joke how we hope all of our animals we've had over the years aren't waiting for us in heaven because it might get hairy:)! From George, the three-legged sheep dog, Pumpkin who "ran away" after he chewed too many times on the satellite cord to some of our horses who grew old with us... there are definitely a few that stand out.

One of my fav's was our horse Petty. He taught me how to cut. For those not familiar with my terminology, I'm referring to the rodeo sport of cutting. He actually helped me win my first belt buckle with the ICHA. When I was in 5th grade, I won the greenhorn class beating out a bunch of adults. It was the highlight of my summer! Here's a video from last year's NCHA Superstakes for those not familiar with the sport.
Besides being a good horse, he helped my brother Joe and I get the National High School Finals Rodeo numerous times and participated in um-teen amounts of rodeo queen pageants. This last winter, our friends who last owned Petty, let us know that he passed away. With him in mind, and needing an example for one of my newest additions to jewelry making, I decided to make a pendant with him and I cutting. I think it turned out pretty well. I use a type of polyurethane glaze that actually gives pictures an antique look and preserves the pictures forever. The picture of the pendant is hard as a rock, which makes it waterproof! I've also attached a few other pictures I've done this technique with using vintage cowgirl pictures. Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts